2011年6月28日火曜日

From Hokkaido May 2, 2011

A letter from a woman in Hokkaido was delivered to Asahi newspaper. It was from a 57-year-old woman who was born in Onagawa and spent her life there until 6th grade in elementary school. At the end of the letter where she wrote about her feelings towards her hometown and memories of Onagawa, she wrote a very surprising incident.


“A photo to commemorate my entrance to the elementary school was taken at the studio of your grandfather, but right before it was finished, the photo was washed away by the Chile tsunami and I could not receive it.”

It was May 24, 1960. The tsunami caused by the earthquake in Chile destroyed the first generation of the Sasaki Portrait Studio that my grandfather built. A lot of negatives were lost, too.

What were the feelings of my grandfather at the time?
What did my father feel about it when he returned from his training?
Later on, in 1972, my father built the current home (that was destroyed this time.) Did they ever imagine that the same thing would happen 39 years later?

I am sure they feel so mortifying.
We could not deliver the memory of the year 1960 to this lady, but somehow I would like to deliver my grandfather’s feelings.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿