2011年7月15日金曜日

NY that I Visited after 10 Years of Absence

NY that I Visited after 10 Years of Absence
May 29, 2011
As I wrote in the title of my blog, I like to travel.
It was in May of 2001 when I first visited the U. S. I travelled across the United States for full 3 months until my tourist visa expired. Starting from Seattle on the west coast, I went to Los Angeles, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Santa Fe, Chicago, New York and Miami.

I could not speak English very well, but with Leica in my hand, I went to different places in the three months and met various people. The experience I gained at that time became the foundation of what I am now.

One month after I returned from the trip to go across the United States, on Sept. 11, 2011, it happened.
The country, the United States, occupied an important part of my life. I became friends with many people and met with a lot of people. I felt that those important things were breaking down. I could not describe in words. 

I went to “September 11 Memorial & Museum” on May 22.
There were portraits of those people killed, high heels found at the site, burned windows from the airplanes. Firefighters who tried to rescue people. My heart was broken as if I traveled10 years back to the past. Still, 24 people are missing. I found that there were 1,100 bodies that could not be identified.

There are similarities with situations that we are now facing. Like my parents, many bodies have not been found. Even if their bodies are found from the ocean, I do not have confidence that I can identify them. How were the 10 years where people in N.Y. had to face with such agonies? It is very meaningful that we could exhibit photographs and have an opportunity to show drawings of children in such location.

I embarked on a ferry to Staten Island from Manhattan for the first time in 10 years. I shot the same scenery. Currently, a new building and a park are under construction on Ground Zero. What do people learn from there… I am going back to Onagawa today. 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿