2011年5月6日金曜日

About my parents

March 15, 2011
Unless such thing as this happened, I would not have had a chance to think about my parents.

Even so, I appreciated my parents very deeply and strongly at milestone events in my life. For example, when I was accepted by the high school I wanted to go, when I went to Tokyo to study at Nihon University College of Art out of my desire to study photography, when I left for a trip to go across the United States without looking for a stable job, when I moved to Canada without consulting with them, when I introduced my current husband to them for the first time, and at the wedding.

My parents have given me a lot of advice. I have been watched over by them with warm hearts. I was raised in comfort. My father’s unique and very open way of thinking and my mother’s serious way of thinking sometimes crashed.

“I do not want to do photography anymore. I am tired of making a living with photography.” I confessed to my father one time. I still remember his sad face.




My family runs a portrait studio that has been continuing since my grandfather. My father is the second generation. Portraits are taken only with a 4x5 large camera that has become scarce lately. I cannot explain portraits my father takes. They are just great. * I wrote about my father here.

When my marriage was set, he said to me, “You don’t need to think about succeeding our portrait studio. You cannot make so much in Onagawa. You have a talent, so continue working in Tokyo. It is enough if you succeed the art of photography.”





A huge death wave gulped Onagawa and my father’s portrait studio disappeared so easily.
His favorite 4×5 and his studio with different lightings that he was proud of, his dark room where he could print monochrome prints, the enlargement machine that he loved, the old-style 4x5 that my grandfather used, and all the photos that my father took. Everything is gone.

I think again what my father’s life was.

If he is alive, he can work. His skills will never diminish. He can take pictures any time. He has the power to make customers who come to have their photos taken happy as he has done.


As the third generation of Sasaki Portrait Studio, what can I do?
I can only continue taking portraits.
I have a lot of things I want to learn from my father. So, please be alive. Let’s talk about “photographs” more deeply. I am waiting for you. 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿