2011年5月6日金曜日

Thoughtful Communication


March 22, 2011
There was an article titled “Thoughtful Communication in Case of a Disaster and Emergency Situation.”

It was written in perspectives of all sides: disaster victims, their families, and those who support victims.  The information is very useful for all.
We take these for granted, but reading this article refreshes one’s perspectives.  Please read it through.

For myself, I received mail messages and phone calls from various people.  I contacted some people myself.  It was emotionally draining to say, “They are still missing.”  However, after reading this article, I reflected on what I had said to them.   If it is through a letter, a writer has time to think while writing.  On the other hand, it is difficult to communicate what we really want to convey on the telephone which allows little time for careful thought before responding.  

My positive personality (definitely an inheritance from my parents) tends to focus on stating things clearly.  Some people may be too emotional to talk coherently under the circumstances.   Without consideration for such a state of mind, I might have sounded too aggressive to some.  I should have been more careful about the tone of my voice, substance of what I was saying, and selection of the right words and expressions.  I will be more sensitive from now on. 
    

Today on March 22,  through twitter I learned that satellite telecommunications and power-supply cars became available in some parts of Onagawa allowing people to access telephones to find out the safety of family members.  I’m relieved.

I hope you will be careful when you call to find out the safety of your family members, relatives, and friends.  Please listen thoroughly and accept what you have heard, regardless of the good or bad outcome.   Please don’t blame the messenger for bad news.  The person you are talking with over the phone is depressed, too.  Just think that the person has to deal with phone calls like this many times a day.  Please be thoughtful.


Kahoku Shinpo News released on March 21 noon reports
“6324 Survivors Confirmed in Onagawa-cho, Miyagi. Area is No Longer “Cut Off.” The conditions of evacuation centers in remote locations are now known.

At the same time, Miyagi Police Station posted a
“List of Victims  Speculatively Identified by Their Possessions.”
I found names of my classmates and those who helped me in the past.  I feel so bad, but praying for their peaceful passage to heaven is something those left on this earth can do for the departed. 


I have been providing information on Onagawa through writing on my blog and on twitter.   Twelve days have passed since the great earthquake.  Those who are not interested may have stopped reading by now, but those who have connections with my family and those who share the same hometown may continue reading this.  I have received many good wishes from many people in various locations.  I am deeply moved.  People who have not heard from for a long time and the classmates of my parents contacted me.  Thank you so much.  I was lucky to get to know you. I will continue to write with your support.

If you like to contact me directly, please enter your e-mail address in private comment, or if no personal information is included, you can make public comment to be shared with other site visitors. 

Have a nice day!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿