2011年5月12日木曜日

My Feeling about Onagawa’s Devastation --- 3/28 Report #1


April 2, 2011
We left for Onagawa on March 28th, two weeks after the Tsunami, and returned home yesterday.  We were able to reach the photo studio site by car without any problem as major roads in the town were pretty much cleared, unlike when my sister went there on March 16th.


Photo:  With My sister and Father Doi at the site where the Sasaki Portrait Studio used to be

Looking at the tsunami devastation for the first time…

I had wondered if looking at the devastation with my own eyes would be different from looking through the TV or the Internet.   To be honest, in my eyes, the scene looked “ordinary.”  Please don’t take this wrong, but the statement might have come from my objective and logical thinking without actually experiencing the tsunami; parents are gone and I can’t do anything about the ruined town.  The power of the nature is too great for us to fight back.  The devastation extends to the entire areas along the Pacific coast beyond Onagawa. I hate to admit, but I have to simply “accept” it. 

Roads are being cleared by the Self-Defense Forces.  Heading towards the bay from the Onagawa bypass. The extraordinary force of the tsunami is apparent from the way wood building materials scattered around.

“What can I do for the rebuilding of Onagawa?”
 A strong sense of mission is now taking root inside of me.  I think that my mental strength is being maintained because I have a home to return to in Zushi and I still have a family member (my sister) to rely on.  Having a home to bring articles left by parents to is a reason to rejoice.  I relish these pleasures, which were taken from the people living in shelters.  
I will take succession to my fathers name in his business without permission and as the third generation owner of Sasaki Portrait Studio (ha,ha,ha..), I hereby declare that I will continue my fathers work and assist in the rebuilding of Onagawa.
My first shots are from Onagawa Daiichi Junior High School.
The school principal was kind enough to talk to me over the satellite phone.  He said, We can neither contact a photo studio nor ask parents to pay even if we find someone to do the contract work.  And I replied, I will take group photos and the cost of distributing to students will come from donations.  He was overjoyed.  I just want to share as much as possible the memories of Onagawa with these children, the bearers of our future.     
I will be commuting for a while between Onagawa and Zushi.  I appreciate your messages which encourage me and inspire me to live.   

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿