2011年5月23日月曜日

Bequeathed Portraits

April 26, 2011
As it was aired on ‘Asazuba’ (morning news show of Tokyo Broadcasting System), I have my father’s portfolio book.

I tried to restore these photos last week.  
I thought I would not successfully restore them on my own; I asked my mentor, Mr. Satoru Watanabe for help.
 
Among 30 portraits or so, we could not save photos with
baryta papers at all.  However, we managed to save those with RC papers and were able to restore nine portraits in total.
These portraits were taken in 1992.  My father developed on baryta papers back then.  He toned the photos, which are his original.  Because of the toning, heavy oil and seawater induced chemical reaction causing the portrait surface to melt.

The original prints looked amazing.  On the other hand, as his daughter, I could not help but to think selfishly, ‘Darn it!  Why did he tone these!  If he didn’t, I could have restored them all…’ (laugh)

My mentor, however, has a different opinion.
He wrote about it in his blog.  If you are interested, please check it out.  He said that these portraits had been taken under the perfect lighting and the areas had been highlighted with stunning tones.  Nine portraits at least left in my hand will become my permanent textbook.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿