2011年5月7日土曜日

Onagawa Survivors One after Another


March 16, 2011
Much information about survivors in Onagawa has been coming since around yesterday.
I have been receiving much information via telephone calls and communication means to the extent that I could become confused.  Some are personal calls about a person having found his parents and some are through acquaintance of someone’s acquaintance on survivors.  Safety of my friends’ families and my acquaintances has been confirmed.

What I can say now is that almost all people that we cannot contact are alive somewhere in Onagawa.  5000 People in Onagawa are still Missingas of March 14 according to the news.  This was the official number that was announced.  Accurate information including numbers obtained from reliable sources is to be reported to the public on the news.

If so, “What is the official number?”  Please thick about this carefully.
Usually don’t we think of the number of names that were surely confirmed with a list of names by clerks of local governmental offices?
Then, speaking of “surely confirmed with a list of names”, to what extent would it be the sure confirmation?

I heard from my old classmates about the situation of the area.
Many messages were like these: “So and so drove me to Ishinomaki.”  “I left a shelter on my own because it is too difficult for me to wait.”  “I stayed at so and so’s place because her house was saved.”  “My son came to pick me up, so I am going to Sendai for now.”  All these sound like people from Onagawa would do and make my heart warm.  So this is the current situation.


It is difficult to think that those who flee Onagawa would take the trouble to file a transfer notice rather an escape notice with the city office.  All victims are desperately trying to survive and take actions on their own, so the accurate number (of survivors) is not grasped, I assume.

Of course, people who stay at public shelters may notify the office of their leave.  I wonder to what degree even those offices are functioning.  In addition, I heard that people with secure houses (in the areas that have escaped the tsunami) could not go to shelters and were waiting for help.  They would not dare to go to Multipurpose Gymnasium that is located so many kilometers away.

In that sense, the official number is very obscure.
March-15 news reported that 2000 people were confirmed to be safe in Minamisanrikucho.
It does not happen that suddenly 2000 people were discovered. (laugh)  Information of a count is collected one town at a time gradually; name lists have been made and totaled in several days.  Then perhaps the total of 2000 people was realized.

I want to say that I am not blaming the work done by the governmental organs.  In addition to this, however, the situation is something like that the goods have finally arrived there. So I think any clerical work could be left to be taken care of much later.  All of you are desperately trying to do your own work by grudging sleep.  Also, some walked many kilometers over a heap of rubbles to get to the towns that escaped the tsunami.  I wonder how you managed to pass a cracked road to head for a town.  It must have been very inconvenient.


Let us not give up our hope and wait patiently!

Let’s imagine the sunny disposition of people in Onagawa when you feel down!
“Aren’t you hungry?  Here, have some meal!”  It goes like this in Onagawa; it is a place where neighbors express concerns about others.  Even now, it is a rural town where you can borrow Miso paste and soy sauce from your neighbors.

That is why you can be sure people you are looking for are safe.  A little bit more (of waiting)!  Let’s do all we can!

I am pleased that this blog drew many people’s attention and may have given some encouragement to people who share the same hometown.  I only gather information from far and organize and upload the information little by little to my blog.  I am sorry that I could not be much help to those who commented to my blog. 

Lastly, I apologize for the fact that I could not sufficiently contact my relatives and people who helped my father and only this blog was the means on information about my parents.  I would like to express my appreciation to them through this blog.  Thank you so much for your support.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿